Help us open doors through our diverse scholarship options
We are glad to have y'all back! After last year's successful distribution of scholarships, we are proud to say we gave out around $18k to 20 recipients. However, we had a total of 272 total applicants, evident that a greater need exists. Help us bridge the gap between financial burden and a lively experience at UT.
The goal of The Senate of College Councils is to advocate and provide opportunities for every student at this university. Considering that the lack of financial support is the greatest deterrent to a successful college career, we want to do our part.
The Fundraising Committee raises money towards the Scholarship Endowment Fund, which sustains five scholarships that we offer to the student body, which include:
- The Non-Traditional Student Scholarship: awarded to a student who comes from a background as a transfer student, international student, veteran, student over 25, parent, or first-generation student.
- The Academic Improvement Scholarship: awarded to a student who has improved their GPA by at least .5 points since coming to UT, using campus resources.
- The William C. Powers Jr. Endowed Scholarship: awarded to a student who has embodied UT's core values, and has contributed significantly to UT through their leadership and service.
- The Study Abroad Scholarship: awarded to a student intending to enrich their academic experience through one of UT's study abroad programs.
- The Undergraduate Research Scholarship: awarded to a student participating in interdisciplinary research during their undergraduate career at UT.
We aim to select students who demonstrate the greatest need through the content and thought put behind their application. Reviewers go through bias training, defined rubrics, and take a holistic view of the applicant.
Our Hornraiser Campaign
Financial accessibility remains one of the largest issues regarding recruitment and retention in higher education. Many students forgo opportunities to enrich their academic experience, such as studying abroad, participating in research, or building meaningful relationships with the community, because they are balancing their coursework with financing-related activities. Our scholarships are aimed at students who have demonstrated excellence while pursuing individual opportunities to contribute to UT.
Our Senate Scholarship Endowment Fund intends to sustain the scholarships we offer, in order to provide access to scholarships for student leaders, underrepresented student voices, and future world-changers. However, to maintain the endowment we need to raise money yearly.
Do you want to become a part of something greater?
The Fundraising Committee is entering its third year as a permanent standing committee. As of now, our endowment fund generates $300 per quarter in interest, and it only partially sustains the two $500 awards for the Study Abroad Scholarship and the two $500 awards for the Non-Traditional Student Scholarship.
By donating today, you are investing in the future of driven and passionate students, and opening up the potential for more scholarships of type and quantity to be offered in the future.
Contribute today to invest in Longhorns. Open a door today and change lives!
The Fundraising Committee