Support Future Female Scientists by Investing in the WINS Program
About Women in Natural Sciences (WINS)
The Women in Natural Sciences program is a small learning community designed to cultivate, recruit, and retain high-achieving women in the College of Natural Sciences. By supporting women, specifically during their first year, WINS creates a community of scholars focused on scientific achievement at the university and beyond.
All WINS students:
- Gain automatic acceptance into the Freshman Research Initiative
- Receive guaranteed seats in first-year science courses
- Have access to a dedicated academic advisor
- Have the opportunity to reside with their peers in a living-learning community
- Enroll in a seminar exclusively tailored to their academic and career interests, including research and health professions
Why WINS Works
- Retention in Science - Compared with similar peer groups, WINS students are more likely to remain at the College of Natural Sciences after their first year of school (92% vs. 72%)*
- Academic Success - During their first year, WINS students are more likely to have at least a 3.0 GPA (86% vs. 62%)*
- Timely graduation- Women in the WINS program are more likely to graduate in four years from the University (61% vs. 33%)*
*Data compiled by College of Natural Sciences Statistician
WINS also emphasizes community building at the University and beyond by creating opportunities for students to engage in meaningful volunteer and mentorship experiences in Austin and abroad. These activities range from engaging girls in science through programs such as GirlStart and Girl Scouts in STEM to building relationships and volunteering with community schools in Argentina and Peru.
Why WINS Needs Your Support
The College of Natural Sciences acknowledges a need for a program such as WINS to recognize its historically underserved female student population, and without philanthropic support this program will not be able to thrive. As enrollment of female students rises, there is a growing need for an expansion of WINS to accommodate extra students and to offer additional programming. However, WINS is currently operating at capacity (259 students) and is relying on donations in order to continue through this fiscal year.
How Your Gift Will Help
In order to build a lasting legacy for this program, WINS is seeking donations via this spring fundraiser. Gifts given to WINS will offset operational costs and allow the WINS program to expand its services to additional students, offer them new opportunities, and help better prepare these women for entering a male-dominated workforce. Specifically,
- Transportation and supplies for WINS students to perform community service and outreach events
- Registration to send WINS students to leadership conferences and seminars
- Supplies to host weekly WINS seminars, as well as career-oriented and networking events
- Additional funding would also help create scholarship opportunities for WINS students
The total annual budget for WINS is $12,000 per year. Help the program reach its goal of $12,000 - enough to ensure programming for one full year - by making a gift and sharing this project today.
Supporting WINS is a Win-Win!
The WINS program and its students are grateful for your support. Gifts of any size will help offset costs and elevate the program. By making your gift today, you will be supporting women in STEM and advancing future female scientists!
For more information on WINS, please visit the WINS website or contact Elizabeth Morgan, the WINS Program Coordinator. Follow WINS on Instagram at @utwinsprogram.
For additional funding opportunities, please contact Marsha Reardon at the College of Natural Sciences External Relations Office.